April 24, 2005

Not so lean cuisine

And tonight's I-ron Chef secret ingredient is....CHICKEN". Yesterday Joe and I embarked on our own little Iron Chef challenge. The american's call it "investment cooking" or "once-a-month-cooking"(OAMC) , I have renamed it "fattening-up cooking" (or F.U.C.K! which was frequently heard in the kitchen).

We cooked 5 different dishes from the same cuts of chicken and made 4-6 portions for each dish, which theoretically means there should be enough freezer dinners for Jpeg and Joe for one month. It took more than a couple of hours and I was abit worried that all the dishes would taste the same, but 'The Chicken Plan' worked really well and all the dishes have distinctive flavours - Chicken Cacciatore, Coq Au Vin (chicken in wine), Chicken burritos, Chicken and Vege Soup, and Chicken Pot Pie (white sauce). My guess is that Joe will run out in two weeks, and Jpeg will still have meals in his freezer in 3 months time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY. I wanna do this too. SERIOUSLY. It sounds great.

BUT FIRST I want a report on how these things taste. I mean I've tried getting home delivered frozen meals before once and they all pretty much sucked by the time I defrosted them in the microwave... or maybe I should've reheated them on the stove instead? hmmmm....

Though these chicken dishes sound pretty nice...

Maybe I should just give it a try. I'm surprised you didn't link to the article where the instructions are all spelled out!

7:31 am  
Blogger Bex said...

I was too lazy to link it! Anyhow I will be putting up reviews from tif and joe. Joe already tasted 4 out of 5 dishes and gives them all a thumbs up. Except the soggy burritos. I'm going to look for less complicated recipes. like throw everything into one pot kind of thing. Anyhow when we have the next cooking day you'll be invited Gregan!

12:03 pm  
Blogger sharzy said...

Ooh, I just lurve fast food! Especially things that you just pop into the microwave and eat!

Canned goods are also good, with rice, and even tinned soup! Oh yes, re-living my glory days when I was living by myself, and that was all I ate.

12:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home