February 01, 2005

Blepharoplasty! (no it wasn't a sneeze)


After jason's post of my 'bad profile', it got me thinking about asian eyes and the practice of "Asian eyelid surgery," which creates a permanent crease in the eyelid," making eyes look rounder" and some say more westernised and 'pretty'.It's a practice that's been going on for decades in asian countries - and everytime i flip through hongkie mags (since i can't actually read any of it except point and guess) I see ads for eye surgery. And infact I know a handful of people that have had it done and yes they did look make their eyes look bigger.Which leads me to the issue that some chinese americans are embracing eyelid surgery which makes them look more 'awake' while others are embracing their 'monolids', declaring the surgery as a self-inflicted form of 'ethnic cleansing'.

I actually have one monolid and one creased lid - it basically means I can wear mascara on one eye, while the other one turns into a panda eye 5 minutes later because i lack the muscle which holds up my eyelid like a window blind (that's what I learnt after my internet research).

So I guess you want to see pictures of monolids vs. double lids? Not all of them turn out so successful and you're basically paying someone to cut your face! Do I want to get the surgery done? Half half - one eye says yes, one eye says no! ha!

what say you? (i know some people can't tell the difference from before or after!)


3 Comments:

Blogger Gregan said...

Those before and after shots are quite dramatic in the changes that you see. Certainly the first shot... the girl's eyes look much prettier. Hmmm. OR is that just heaps of make up?

Hell. I think if you wanna do it then just do it.
I don't see the big deal with surgery as long as it's not dangerous and it's gonna work out ok. Though I must admit the whole botox thing sounds quite sad.. the idea of paralysing your face to get rid of wrinkles seems quite stupid to me.

Actually I'm not sure my opinion counts here.. not having the baggage associated with possibly 'self inflicted form of ethnic cleansing'.. hehe. That description is a bit extreme to me - I don't see what the big deal is.

How did you end up with one monolid and one creased lid? How do creased lids work anyway? Does that mean you have the muscle on one eye but not the other? How bizarre.

Hmm.. I wanna see more before and after shots now...

5:34 am  
Blogger sharzy said...

Well, interesting post, and Gregan, I think Beck was born with one eye lid ;)

Personally, being camel eyes and all, I think you're perfect just the way you are, awwwwwwwwwwww... :)
But I guess you're asking the wrong person, since I'm known for my big eyes, and makeup, no mascara or eye-liner.

Fiona just commented today that I will never have to wear mascara because I have natural eye-lashes that outline my eyes nicely. Hooray! One less make-up item to think of.

Now I have to get use to having eye-liner, since I always accidently rub it off and make myself look like a cat burgular!

5:18 pm  
Blogger Bex said...

Since when you did you worry about makeup anyhow?! haha
Yeah - not going to sk for your opinon, Shar 'camel eyes' wong! hmp!

G- check out this article for more information if you really want to know what ppl's opinions are http://archive.salon.com/health/feature/2000/02/16/asian_eyes/

6:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home