February 09, 2005

Happy Chinese New Year!

Normally our family celebrations are quite subdued, we have a nice reunion dinner together of just the five of us, and then my dad tries to guilt me into going to the Chinese Temple at Glebe with him which I now refuse because I always get burnt from all the incense � particularly because I happen to be the right height where some auntie waves her incense above her head to avoid the smoke and ends up waving it on my shoulders and neck!

Anyhow this year was more subdued than ever, in fact I got to work thinking � is this even chinese new year?

Last night my parents weren�t even home for a reunion dinner, they went to their own dinner party with their friends and left me to eat Spag Bol with my brother and Jpeg (yes he is alive and back). Then my dad didn�t try to ask me to go to the temple with him � I guess he gave up.

And this morning I didn�t even get a chance to say �gong hei fat choy� and receive any lai see � when I walked out my bedroom I was greeted with the sight of my mum picking off bird lice from my dad! I wanted to laugh at them and point at them like monkeys at the zoo! And now they know how it feels to wake up in the middle of the night with this strange feeling that your skin is crawling by itself! If I haven�t already told you, a few years ago I had a bird lice infestation in my room from the bird�s nest in the gutter of my bedroom � I didn�t sleep in my bedroom or my bed for about a week until we repainted it and sealed it and cleaned the gutter out. And now again in the height of summer the bird lice have come crawling into my parents� room from the gutter to spring a lovely Happy New Year surprise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home