August 23, 2005

Goodbye...Hi Nan!

This is a quick tribute to the only place in Kogarah that used to sell Hainan Chicken. It closed down last month. No notice, no sign, no last Hainan farewell! I only wished that I had taken a photo beforehand to show you the dish and the ‘restaurant’ which consisted of a few tables and chairs inside a Chinese meat butcher shop. It wasn’t your typical Chinese butcher shop with roast ducks and char sui hanging in the window… it was your not so typical ‘fluorescent lights and raw meat’ kind of butcher. Not a place to invite vegetarian work colleagues out for lunch. Anyhow the Hainan chicken itself was quite flavoursome as was the rice and it was quite reasonable at $6.80. I’ve had better and worse. But beggars in Kogarah can’t be choosers like in the Market City food court. It didn’t have the usual Malaysian Singaporean addition of bits of pineapple and cucumber on the side though, but it did have generous serving of bok choy on the side and broth. I think the owners were fresh from Hainan (maybe even relatives of YDG and Shar..hehe)– if they had gotten rid of the butcher side of the operation and just stuck to the Hainan chicken and noodles I think they might have had a better go at it. So now we have to drive to Hurstville for Hainan – but somehow we always get sidetracked and end up going to Miss Saigon for Pho and then the bakery for Custard Pineapple (Polo) buns which are almost as big as my face and definately bigger than my mouth!

7 Comments:

Blogger sharzy said...

Yummmmm, I feel like hainan chicken rice now...mmmmMMMmmmmm...

Which reminds me, the hainan chicken at Temasek is to die for!! *drool*

Aren't we going there soon, Beck? ;)

6:55 pm  
Blogger Gregan said...

I wanna try a custard pineapple bun!

7:16 pm  
Blogger Marissa said...

They can't be as big as my face! ;p

12:15 pm  
Blogger Bex said...

is CT castle towers or CiTy? haha.

No. Not as big as your face mars. I think i will have to take a photo of you with a bun as big as your face..

2:15 pm  
Blogger sharzy said...

Ooh, don't tell me you didn't pick it up? If you pronounce CT, it sounds like city? You must've gotten it, right?? Normally, I'm the last one???

4:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great play on words bec! goodbye hinan.. GOOD ONE :)

5:47 pm  
Blogger Bex said...

thanks Mal!

yeah shar i thought it was city but i thought it might also be Castle Towers since Joe lives out there! hehe.

when are we going to temasek?!

6:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home