July 17, 2006

You know you're old when

...you're witnessing the 2nd cycle of a fashion trend. I thought it would never happen. I was SO wrong.

I walked into General Pants on the weekend and they had a big banner up proclaiming “All is forgiven: Come back 1986”. No WAY! I wanted to turn around and walk back out again, because:
  1. I remembered the year 1986 and that I used to wear stonewashed skinny jeans (back when I was skinny and didn't know what 'stoned' meant)
  2. The staff in the store looked like they were born in 1986 and treated me like I was someone not within their store's demographic (ie. someone willing to pay $300 for a pair of jeans that looked like something from St. Vinnies)
  3. The clothes were truly heinous

And when I continued through the shopping centre I felt like I was having an 80s flashback.

Like TOTALLY!

Every freaken shop was selling polka dots. Been there. Done that. I used to own 3 beloved polka dot items in the summer of '89. A black off the shoulder tube dress with white polka dot trim and a black shift dress with tiny white dots from supre, back when Supre used to be a clothing warehouse in Marrickville and not some crazy shop with disco music and actual change rooms. My all time fave piece of polkadots was a hand me down from mum - her white polka dot sun dress as seen in the picture below. (shit does that mean i'm actually witnessing the third cycle of a trend?!) I refuse to willingly purchase a polka dotted item.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ange said...

Sorry I'm not with you on this one, I was around the last time & love the return of polka dots & have already bought 2 spotted shirts & a dress - I love it when one of my old faves returns & I can do it all again

10:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home